On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:40:29 +0400, Alex Peshkoff <peshk...@mail.ru>
wrote:
> On 04/19/12 22:48, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

>>> Something derived from DES, AFAIK. See ENC_crypt(), located in
/src/jrd/
>>> (pre-FB3) or in /src/common/ (trunk).
>> Is it standard DES, or a modification?
>>
> Mark, I'm not absolutely sure what kind of DES is used, and telling true
> do not care too much. I think you should not worry about implementing ti
> in Java client - it anyway adds absolutely no security compared with
> sending clear password over the wire. And I will fix FB3 to accept it.

I had a look yesterday and I couldn't easily find out if it was standard
DES; comparing some Java DES implementations I did find commonalities, but
some of the operations (and optimizations?) and pointer magic done are hard
to follow if you are not that well-versed in C. I also saw that most DES
implementations do not use a salt, which makes it harder  to follow. Other
examples refer to the use of the DES implementation in the Java API (of
which the source is not directly available; I will need to check the
OpenJDK or BouncyCastle sources).

I am going to think it over, not having to implement it is of course far
easier.

> It's much more useful to decide what to do with SRP. And (taking wider
> look at it) - will it be possible to load client parts of plugins by
> Java client?

Technically yes, but most Java developers usually do not want to bother
with the hassle that is involved with using native libraries. So a pure
java implementation will be needed.