> > I don't say that we don't need true debugger\profiler, no. But don't
> > limit trace functionality artificially.
>
> Personally, I agree that custom (user generated) trace events could be a
> useful addition, as they extend the application specific auditing tasks.
> But I'm quite skeptic about the gain the PSQL statement level tracing
> introduces, unless you plan to have future debugging/profiling tools being
> based on (and extending) user trace sessions -- but this is what surely
> deserves a public discussion.

I agree, extending the current functionality to the PSQL statement level
requires a very public discussion.

I am also very skeptical about the "need" that to add this functionality to the
Trace API, as it falls into the area of PSQL debugging/profiling which is not
what the current functionality is about*.

Sean

* the issue is that whether the Trace API could provide the functionality, but
rather should it -- in the larger context of the requirements/features of a
PSQL debugger/profiler.  The Trace API is about collecting macro/higher level
details/statistics about the operations of a database, a PSQL debugger/profiler
is about the micro level -- with completely different levels of interactions
between the external user and the engine/debugger.