On 08/29/12 23:53, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> BTW: Out of curiosity: why is sqlind a pointer? Are there any other use
> cases for it being a pointer, because honestly I don't really see the
> point of having a pointer to a short in a structure like xsqlvar.

IMHO people who designed SQLDA were much in a hurry. They took as a
prototype a message, traveling between client and engine. In a message's
buffer null indicator for a column is (typically) placed right after a
data for that column. If we imagine that SQLDA works directly with a
message's buffer than use of a pointer as sqlind is very reasonable. Why
same solution was used for a case when data and indicator are allocated
for SQLDA by user - no answer. Certainly, it could be much better to
have sqlind as short, not as a pointer, but I hope you do not suggest to
change API?

Moreover - new OO API will directly access message's buffer (probably
provided by user), and a kind of 'SQLDA' in it will therefore
_logically_ contain a pointer to short.