Hello, Sean!

LS> Interesting.
LS> Could you try one more test, with cache size = 40,000.

I did restore test for some production database, and found
no difference for db cache from 1k to 16k.

http://www.ibase.ru/devinfo/rs-win-se-cache.gif

-i - index creation turned of.
So, I do not see difference in it neither for tables, nor for indices.

TS> With a higher page cache, one can see in Task Manager a steady increase
TS> of RAM usage while restoring records, which *might* get re-used during
TS> index creation, because it doesn't need to pull data pages from the disk
TS> again when creating the index.

I think here OS cache is more sufficient, especially for databases
that bigger than RAM. Here one thought came to me, that was inspired
by Vlad Horsun - to restore all indices per table, table by table,
not that way like gbak restores indices in current versions (all
foreign keys goes at the end).

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, www.ibase.ru, (495) 953-13-34