> On 15/03/2013 07:32, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> > But you are assuming that the user actually knows how to configure a
> > firewall (or even knows what a firewall is). Not all people who
> > install Firebird are system administrators or are aware for the need
> > to secure things. Serious users of Firebird are (or should be) aware
> > of that, but for example students who only install Firebird for a
> > small project are - most of the time - not. An installation that by
> > default restricts to localhost will 'protect' those users, while only
> > adding a small burden to serious users.
> AOL.
>
> FYI, did you see my comment that LibreOffice are thinking about making
> Firebird the default database? What do you think that's going to do to the
> number of your naive users?
>
> As I also said, I'm not at all sure what they're planning will actually work,
> but
> be aware you might be in for a shock down the road a little.
> (I understand databases, I'm not sure how much real experience the guy
> planning the roadmap has...)

No one has said that LO will use the server install of Firebird, it could just
as easily use the embedded engine which would not have any of the network
security issues which have been described.

Only when someone would want to deploy a server would the issues come into
play.  At which point there would be some type of network config/admin/security
responsibilities come into play, which is not something that "joe-q-user" would
be able to do (or if they are, would understand network security issues).

Sean