I agree - if you "hide" the entire table behind a view you can show (expose) or
hide the columns as you please. Rename your tables and create views with old
table names, then you will be up and running :) (well, unless I missed
something).

We generally use views to wrap all our tables to protect the user from doing
illegal data changes.

Poul