> > In tracker case 4212, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
> >
> >         It is documented since introducing GTT in v2.1 that
> > constraints between temporary and permanent tables is forbidden. This
> requirement is per SQL standard.
> >
> > I want to be sure that this is correct (sorry Vlad), cus it seems wrong.
>
> 11.8 <referential constraint definition> Syntax Rules
>
> 5) The referenced table shall be a base table.
> Case:
> a) If the referencing table is a persistent base table, then the referenced
> table shall be a
>     persistent base table.
> b) If the referencing table is a global temporary table, then the referenced
> table shall be a
>     global temporary table.
> 6) If the referenced table is a temporary table with ON COMMIT DELETE
> ROWS specified, then
>     the referencing table shall specify ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS.
>
> > I can see that a permanent table should not be able to refer to a GTT,
> > but the reverse (a GTT referencing a permanent table) seems entirely
> > logical and desirable for data integrity purposes.
>
>     It is physically impossible to check detail data in all instances of
> detail GTT
> when master record is changed.

First, thanks for the details (BTW, is there a link for the spec)

I understand/appreciate the difficulty of checking the dependent GTTs.

I must admit was wasn't thinking about the impact of an invalidation of the
master records, but rather only about the enforcement of the presence of the
master when GTT rows are created.

I will point out that, the specs does allow for GTT to reference GTT, which is
not what your original comment stated (that a GTT could not have any
dependencies/references).

Sean