On 28 November 2013 18:26, Leyne, Sean <s...@broadviewsoftware.com> wrote:
> Dmitrijs,
>
>> I've enabled ARM64 build of firebird2.5 in ubuntu.
>
>> I don't have access to arm64 machines and hence i have no idea if it actually
>> runs =) it does compile though.
>
> While it is good that you worked on the port.
>
> If you don't have an platform to test, why would you bother with the effort?

The reason it's not tested, it's because I've never used firebird =)

Hence the instructions on how to use chroot with qemu-static based
emulation to test firebird on, if one wishes to try out ARM64.
Furthermore since binaries are compiled, one can boot into foundation
model (free of charge to download) and test it there as well.

Are there any sort of testsuites for firebird that I can execute? It
doesn't look like any are compiled or run at Debian/Ubuntu package
build time.

E.g. postgresql package executes hundreds of test cases at build-time,
to verify that what has been compiled actually works.

> Further, if you can't test, wouldn't it be ill-advised/dangerous to take the
> patch (which usually implies/requires that the change has been tested)?

Please look at my patch. It doesn't actually add or modify any code.
All it does is add boiler plate defines.  It is equivalent of
"autoreconf -f -i", which all what's needed for majority of portable
software packages out there. Why is autoconf not used? (one doesn't
need to use automake, one can use autoconf stand-alone to do
target/feature discover - e.g. endianess, required libraries to link,
etc)

Are you saying Firebird is currently broken on all little-endian linux targets?

Not sure how can it be dangerous, the patch doesn't modify anything on
any other target / architecture. And since Firebird doesn't exist on
ARM64 yet, it can't possibly regress =)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.