I regularly run a set scripts to migrate an old Paradox db to Firebird.

The scripts have the following pattern.

1.define original ddl
2.import data
3.alter tables
4.add indexes
5.rearrange data
6.check consistency
7.add views
8.delete old data

Since a few days I get an error at stage 3, stating 'index in use' while
trying to delete a unique index;

SQL> input build.sql ;
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 42000
unsuccessful metadata update
-object INDEX is in use
After line 50 in file alter1.sql
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 42S22
unsuccessful metadata update

I have tried to create a cut down version of the scripts. without the
confidential data,  but the error does not occur in the same way!

$ME=`whoami`
$/opt/firebird/bin/isql  -ch utf8 -fetch stdin -user ${ME} -z
Enter password:
ISQL Version: LI-T3.0.0.30854 Firebird 3.0 Alpha 2
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
SQL> connect localhost:accounts;
Server version:
LI-T3.0.0.30854 Firebird 3.0 Alpha 2
LI-T3.0.0.30854 Firebird 3.0 Alpha 2/tcp (Horos)/P13:C
LI-T3.0.0.30854 Firebird 3.0 Alpha 2/tcp (Horos)/P13:C
Database:  localhost:accounts, User: treeve
SQL> input build.sql ;
-- migration complete
set echo off;

SQL> show tables;
/home/treeve/bin/fbsql: line 9: 25501 Segmentation fault      $FB -ch utf8 -
fetch stdin -user ${ME} -z

I have an amd64 system running linux-3.13.0, gcc-4.8.2

The part of the script which fails is:

alter table mvt
  drop constraint U_MVT,
  drop line,
  alter desc type D_DESC,
  add curr d_curr not null,
  add ref smallint;

A previous statement adds a constraint to a different table.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Reagrs, Treeve