On Fri, 23 May 2014 09:03:35 +0200, "Paul Beach" <pbe...@ibphoenix.com>
wrote:

>>> Drop dialect 1 support.
>>
>>   Allow dialect 1 to have access to BIGINT fields.
>
> <<I don't have to work for this to happen, so I don't really have a
say...

> but the question that arises is "why?"
>
> What are the reasons to continue to use dialect 1?>>
>
> Because there are large numbers of databases out there still using it...
> and if we are going to drop support for dialect 1, we should announce it

> well in advance, not at alpha stage of a release.

Sorry, but IMHO declaring dialect 1 as legacy and announcing dropping of
support was already done with Interbase 6.0. The Interbase 6.0 Getting
Started Guide explicitly states that moving from Interbase 5 to Interbase 6
you need to migrate databases and clients from dialect 1 to 3. It also says
(page 27): "In a future release, InterBase will allow only the dialect 3
behavior", (page 42): "Future versions of InterBase will no longer support
dialect 1. It is offered now as a transitional mode."

I'd say that has been warning enough. People have had +/- 15 years to
migrate. If they haven't done so by now, they can stay on Firebird 2.5. If
they want the goodies from Firebird 3.0 they will finally have good reason
to invest in migrating.

I think it was a serious mistake that dialect 1 support wasn't dropped
earlier, eg in Firebird 1.5 or 2.0.