On 23-7-2014 17:59, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After I reported an TCS fail to Alex in January, he moved this method
> from IStatement to IResultSet.
>
> But I fail to understand. Not talking about implementation detail, but
> about interface.
>
> IMO makes no sense to first open the cursor and then name it later.
>
> We can have two prepared statement, while the second uses the cursor
> name of the first. But now we need to open the first before prepare the
> second.
>
> Isn't this just wrong?

I'd think so. This should clearly be a feature of the statement. This is
for example also the case in JDBC, see
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#setCursorName-java.lang.String-

If you look at the SQL standard (CLI), then setting the cursor name is
also associated with the statement. It even explicitly says that
assigning a cursor name to a statement that has an open cursor should
raise an invalid cursor state exception.

As far as I understand it, you can't have an IResultSet unless the
result set is open, so setting the cursor name on an IResultSet is not
very logical.

Mark Rotteveel