28.07.2014 22:20, Dalton Calford wrote:

> So, let me understand this.
>
> (a) the plan is to block/remove access to the system tables

Wrong, at least in the short term. Currently we're trying to block
*write* access to the system tables, no more than that.

> (b) functionality will not be added until it is in the sql standard,
> even though we are not implementing everything that is currently in that
> standard as some of it does not make sense or no one wants to do it.

Non-standard functionality is added if we agree that it does make sense.

> (c) the loss of functionality such as blocking sysdba access or
> displaying comments will not be compensated with extensions to the language.

You may live without SYSDBA in FB3. And displaying comments is available
with either SELECT or SHOW (latter is isql only).

> What would prevent a show command to be added to the language?
>
> Show comments on ....
> Show ddl for ....
> Show dependencies on ...
> etc.

IMHO, it's counternatural to SQL. A non-SELECT/non-EXECUTE command that
returns what? A blob? What is the name of the output parameter,
"COMMENT" or what? How should it be described in API so that thousands
of existing apps understood it?

> Interbase became such a good system by NOT following the standard but by
> adding flexibility and features to the baseline product.   I seem to
> recall that interbase was one of the first if not the first to support
> blobs which where definitely not part of the standard at the time.

I'm afraid there were no standard at all those dark times.

> There are some security enhancements that red soft has that would be
> wonderful in the core product, but, we don't see them yet.

Some of them are already in the core. May you enumerate others that you
urgently need?

> I wonder if redsoft is still actively developed and supports schema?

Yes, it's actively developed. No, it doesn't support schemas. I don't
think you can have/use schemas without recompiling all those thousands
of existing applications and/or their underlying database connectivity
libraries.