On 29-7-2014 18:49, Tom Coleman wrote:
>> Re: [Firebird-devel] New Interface
>> And what holds them from using Firebird, no matter what decision is
>> made about the API?
>
> Good question. And what could be holding back everyone else?
>
> See the chart in the reference I posted earlier in this thread.
>
> The line from the movie "Field of Dreams"  is especially true in open
> source, "If you build it [well] they [the users] will come."
>
> Point well taken on making problems for existing user base.  I'm sure
> Oracle layered JDBC on top of OCI.

Oracle has essentially two JDBC drivers rolled into one: one uses OCI
and is a pain in the ass (config-wise and the dependency on an external
library) although it has its advantages, the other is a pure Java
implementation. For the Firebird JDBC driver (Jaybird) this works the same.

You'll find that a lot of JDBC drivers are a so-called Type 4 driver
(pure Java), and some also provide a Type 2 (Java + native dependency)
driver. Most users prefer a Type 4 because it doesn't require the hassle
of correctly loading native dependencies.

Mark Rotteveel