11.08.2014 17:26, Tony Whyman wrote:
> Before this goes much further, can someone confirm that COM is
> compatible with Linux. I was always under the impression that it was a
> Windows only technology. Googling the subject does not come up anything
> other than DCOM and a lot of negative comments on COM.

   My googling leads to quite reasonable whitepaper:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/com/

   Some quotes from there:

"Is provided on multiple platforms (Microsoft® Windows®, Windows 95, Windows
NT�, Apple®
Macintosh®, and many varieties of UNIX®)"

"It is important to note that COM is a general architecture for component
software.
Although Microsoft is applying COM to address specific areas such as controls,
compound
documents, automation, data transfer, storage and naming, and others, any
developer can
take advantage of the structure and foundation that COM provides."

"For any given platform (hardware and operating system combination), COM
defines a
standard way to lay out virtual function tables (vtables) in memory, and a
standard way to
call functions through the vtables. Thus, any language that can call functions
via
pointers (C, C++, Smalltalk, Ada, and even BASIC) all can be used to write
components that
can interoperate with other components written to the same binary standard."

"IDL is only a tool for the convenience of the interface designer and is not
central to
COM's interoperability. It simply saves the developer from manually creating
header files
for each programming environment and from creating proxy and stub objects by
hand."

--
   WBR, SD.