On Wednesday 04 Nov 2015 16:25:22 Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 09:45:27 +0100, Paul Reeves <pree...@ibphoenix.com>

> > So the question is this - can the authentication method be switched
> > between
> > srp and legacy without modifiying security3.fdb?
>
> You can have two sysdba accounts in security3.fdb, one for Srp and one for
> legacy_auth.

Thanks, Mark, that's useful to know. And now that you mention it, I recall
seeing something about this in the release notes.

Frankly, the idea of having two SYSDBAs with possibly different passwords for
different authentication methods rather boggles my mind. :-) I think it is
certainly too complicated for a click through install.

> You need to add the user with the right user manager plugin,
> and then both work.

Hmmm - I think that is where I have been having some trouble. I suspect that
order of plugins in firebird.conf might be important here.

In the end, I decided that this is no business of the (re)installer. At least
for RC1. Maybe when things settle down a bit we can review this.

A fresh install will offer the user the chance to create a sysdba username and
password, or keep the defaults. And they can choose whether to use legacy
authentication or srp.

Uninstall will leave firebird.conf and security3.fdb in place. (As before.)

A re-install will detect these and leave the security config untouched.
Likewise no opportunity will be presented to create/change the sysdba user/pw
at re-install time. Firebird.conf.default and security3.fdb.empty will be
deployed for users that want to do a manual configuration later.

Uninstall /clean will forcibly remove things like firebird.conf and
security3.fdb if the user wants to start with a clean slate and use the
installer to reconfigure the security db for them. (Or they can just do a
fresh install into a new directory.)

The net result of all this is an installation that works with either srp or
with legacy auth but not both.

This seems to me to be the simplest and most idiot proof solution.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com