On 1/21/2016 12:41 PM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 21.01.2016 18:20, Leyne, Sean wrote:
>> Operationally, your app will die/fail which you try to exceed the Windows
>> FD_Size value -- it is a OS level limit.
>     Nope, it is truly set at compile time and only application-defined
> structures are used
> by OS.
>     Problem is not a size of structure itself, but very ineffective methods
> to find out
> which socket is signaled after select() has returned.
>     I wonder if someone tried to use bit-scanning instructions of modern x86
> processors to
> solve the problem...

Microsoft is now supporting the Linux poll() as WSAPoll().  Much more
intelligent data structures and is smart enough to wake up when the
remote end of a socket is closed.  I don't know what platforms do or
don't support poll(), so select() would have to be conditional, but
poll() beats the pants off select().