On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:00:34 +0300
Vlad Khorsun <hv...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>    Is it just default action of installer or user have no choice ?

The user has a choice. Until now, we never deployed fbclient to <sys> by
default. But we did deploy gds32.dll to <sys> by default. In both cases
users could choose.

FB3 is a good time to move users away completely from gds32. But I
suspect that deploying fbclient.dll to <sys> will be helpful
for users that have tools that expect to find fbclient on the path.

> What about firebird.msg ?

That has always been a problem. Perhaps we could add that to <sys>?
Although I'm not sure about that. We would have a problem with
versioning. New installs would only be able to use file modification
date to determine whether to upgrade or not.

Alternatively, we could not deploy anything to <sys> and change the
PATH. But that brings other problems if a user tries to install two
different versions of Firebird.

If we don't deploy to <sys> and we don't add the install dir to the
path then 3rd-party tools will have to be flexible enough to search for
fbclient or allow users to specifically configure the location of
fbclient. Most of the best ones do this already, as far as I know. On
the other hand one of our aims is to make deployment as easy as
possible.

>    server is already configured to restart immediately after
> failure. Since year 2007 :)
>
> See
> https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/commit/8ba5a8cae04f4b162b8a3e89f7765b5c0a557dd0

Ah, I missed that commit. So we could have started phasing out the
guardian since v2.0. :-)

I'll roll back that change later today.
I've been having internet connection problems and haven't quite
recovered.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves