11.11.2016 18:26, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:

>> - Added new datatypes: DECFLOAT(16) and DECFLOAT(34), using 64/128 bits
>> for numbers representation.
>
> What is the point of these new types? Cannot you just expand list of back-end
> storage
> for standard DECIMAL?

This is my concern too. What is the user-visible difference between
NUMERIC(15) based on blr_int64 and DECFLOAT(15) based on blr_dec64? Are
both arithmetics compatible and if not then why? I bet we have a demand
for longer standard NUMERICs rather than for non-standard DECFLOAT.

Moreover, what are we going to do when people ask as for precisions
beyond the 34 decimal digits? Introduce blr_dec256/blr_dec512/etc or
switch to blr_varydec backed by decNumber (and probably stored as packed
BCD)? Are there any reasons why the current implementation doesn't
follow this way other than hardware accelerated computations for 64/128
bits?