On 01/03/17 18:33, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 30.12.2016 17:06, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
>>> Do anybody object if I try to dig a little into CORE-5064?
>> No, feel free.
>     I've managed to make binary strings accessible at sql level, but found
> that whole
> engine, starting from dsc is not prepared to handle sql_sub_type and
> character set
> separately. Thus isql and API has no way to distinguish between "varchar(10)
> character set
> octets" and "varbinary(10)".

Sooner of all I'm missing something but please explain - what is the
difference between them?  From
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5064 I see that varbinary is
just an alias for old syntax. What about the phraze:
"Using either the alias or the 'old' full definition should become an
explicit subtype of CHAR and VARCHAR, instead of implicit based on the
character set id as it is now"
I'm not sure what do we win with suggested change.