20.03.2017 19:43, Vlad Khorsun wrote:

>> Firebird doesn't use signals for AST delivery for a long time already
>> and it might be possible to issue new locks from inside AST handler.
>>
>> Therefore it might make sense to go back to this logic. This would make
>> nbackup state locks very transient and do not require flushing page
>> cache during transitions.
>
>    It would be very good to avoid flushing.

Agreed. But I'm really worried about taking locks in ASTs, this sounds
as a dangerous practice to me. I smell new deadlocks.

>> It also might be possible to use shared memory for synchronization
>> instead of lock manager calls to speed things up.
>
>    Could you explain more ?

I suppose Nickolay means replacing GlobalRWLock with native OS-level RW
primitives used similar to shared memory mutexes. For Windows, they're
just shared as named objects, for POSIX they're stored in shmem.