24.03.2017 21:36, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 24/03/17 17:57, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
>>> What must be done is specified exactly. And we should suppose that in
>>> all other aspects data stored in database should not be changed -
>>    What data is *stored* ?
>
> For any field, the data that is loaded initially or later modified. And
> I REPEAT ... if the field was originally NULL it should remain NULL
> until a specific record update modifies it. It should not be returning
> some DEFAULT value that was added later UNLESS the constraints are
> changed to require the NULL value to be populated, but that should not
> be populated 'magically' and the SQL spec does not override that basic
> function of a value in an existing record? The DEFAULT value should only
> be used to replace a NULL value when a record is added ... full stop.

   Engine substitute default value if and only if NOT NULL field was added
and DEFAULT value was specified. Engine not allow to add NOT NULL field
without DEFAULT. If NULLable field was added engine will return NULL's
for that field at existing old records despite of precence of DEFAULT value.

   Is it OK ?

Regards,
Vlad