On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 02:35:46PM -0400, U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew wrote:

> I am trying to build from source firebird 2.5. I am intersted in using
> gpre with cobol.
>
> I use ./configure -with-gpre-cobol -with-system-icu
>
> I get past configure but then run into these errors when trying to use
> the command make.
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to get past these
> errors. Hopefully it is something silly I am doing.
>
> thx. very much- jim
>
> ../src/common/classes/alloc.cpp:2127:7: error: declaration of ‘void* operator
> new(size_t) throw (std::bad_alloc)’ has a different exception specifier
>  void* operator new(size_t s) THROW_BAD_ALLOC
>        ^~~~~~~~

There are some issues when building Firebird with compiler in C++14 mode
which is default for gcc >= 6. For details see e.g.

  https://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5099

For Firebird 2.5, the problem can be worked around by adding
"-std=gnu++98 -fno-lifetime-dse" to CXXFLAGS which enforces C++98 mode
even on newer gcc and disables certain optimizations.

However, if your ICU is version 59.1 (or newer), you may be in trouble
as that requires C++11:

  https://sourceforge.net/p/firebird/mailman/message/35878832/

Michal Kubecek