18.07.2017 21:55, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:

We have HASH function that returns a 64 bit integer. The algorithm is
bad and the result too small for a hash.

Yes, and we have CORE-4436 with related complains.

I propose to extend the same function with a second parameter with the
algorithm name.

Agreed.

When two parameters are passed, it will return a VARCHAR(64) CHARACTER
SET OCTETS. That's sufficient for a SHA-256, for example.

Would it make sense to reserve more bytes, 256 or 1024 octets for example? Just to avoid extending the result every five years...

We implement (preferably getting code with compatible license or public
domain - like was done for SHA-1 used in authentication - instead of use
a bloated library) some algorithms (MD5, some useful SHA-*). No need for
"hash plugins" for now.

Agreed.