On 10/05/2018 14:47, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:

>   According to:
>
>     https://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones.html
>
> ---
> Daylight Saving Time Zones
>
> Regions that use Daylight Saving Time (DST) change the time zone name
> and time during the DST period. The words “daylight” or “summer” are
> then usually included in the time zone name. The areas that don't use
> DST remain on standard time zone all year.
>
> For example, California uses Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) during the
> DST period, but Pacific Standard Time (PST) during the rest of the year.
> ---

And when you read more this page, you understand that this scheme does
not work for computers:

---
Local Time Zone Names
Illustration image
Mountain Standard Time or Mountain Daylight Time or just Mountain Time?
PunchStock.com
To confuse matters more, each time zone can have different local time
zone names, usually linked to the geographical name of the country or
region. The time zone names may be completely different, even though the
UTC offset is the same.

For instance in Miami, Florida, is 5 hours behind UTC (UTC-5) and the
standard time zone is Eastern Standard Time (EST). In Havana, Cuba, the
standard time zone is also UTC-5, but it's called Cuba Standard Time (CST).

Identical Abbreviations
Another point that can cause confusion is that some time zone's names in
totally different places have exactly the same abbreviation. For
example, India Standard Time (IST) and Israel Standard Time (IST) have
the same abbreviation, but completely different UTC offsets of UTC+5:30
and UTC+2:00.

In many parts of the world, especially in countries with only one time
zone, time zone names are not commonly used at all.
---

>> A DST is nothing different than a "rule change" and another "rule
>> change" every year.
>
>   Nope. DST doesn't affect time zone. It affects what time zone is actual
> at given region. Before 2011 it was MSK "at winter" and MSD "at
> summer" at
> Moscow area.

Brazil has various time zones but does not have various 3/4 letters
abbreviations for them.

But we can use then in computers (with ICU in this case) using the names:

America/Sao_Paulo
Brazil/Acre
Brazil/DeNoronha

ICU does not even define BRT/BRST. AFAIK these names are ambiguous.

The name for Moskow is Europe/Moscow.

See the list here:
https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/blob/work/time-zone-support/src/common/TimeZones.h

Adriano