30.07.2021 14:10, Ivan Přenosil wrote:

Enabling replication of table by
ALTER TABLE tab ENABLE PUBLICATION;
is replicated, while

ALTER DATABASE INCLUDE TABLE tab TO PUBLICATION;
is not replicated.

Is it bug or by design?

ALTER DATABASE commands are not replicated, because they may include file-system specifics (e.g. ADD SHADOW or DIFFERENCE FILE), or cause database locks (BEGIN/END BACKUP), or encrypt the database.

But perhaps we should be more intelligent here and allow some ALTER commands to be replicated -- those which are "internal" to the database.

However, I'm wondering whether it's expected that the replica database may suddenly become "master" after ENABLE PUBLICATION is replicated (provided replica is read-write and replication.conf is set up).