On 2022-03-01 12:47, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
On 2/28/22 21:39, Jiří Činčura wrote:
Thanks. I suppose not only TPB, but also buffers for batch, events, etc., right?

Yes.

Basically only DPB and SPB are "UTF8-ready".

If one wants everyting to be utf8 why not have appropriate attachment?

Having the connection character set UTF8 is IMHO a separate concern from driver/protocol-related communication. The benefits of using UTF8 for driver/protocol communications doesn't always work well with the limitations that UTF8 enforces on the size of (VAR)CHAR columns. If we ever design a new protocol, things like this need to be taken into account.