My database systems haven't have pages for 15 years, based instead on distributed objects serialized to storage for persistence.

Netfrastructure/Falcon did all record operations in memory using database pages only for backfill.  OK, I guess, but it didn't work for distributed databases.  If you start with a distributed database rather than a single node database, you come up with entirely different architectures.

The problem, however, is how does an existing product change architectures?  Beats me.