On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 6:31 PM Dimitry Sibiryakov <s...@ibphoenix.com> wrote:

> Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote 15.06.2022 21:56:
> > Are there any reason for that?
>
>    MSYS (and I suspect WSL as well) bash is using unnamed pipes to
> redirect
> input and output of applications into its window. Without considering
> pipes as
> console they are blind.
>    I know no way to distinguish CMD pipelining from any other stdout
> redirection.

Things work correctly with CMD, Windows Terminal and WSL.

But has the problem you said with MSYS.

But even unmodified ISQL is very problematic in MSYS when you input arrow
keys. The cursor navigates through the screen and garbage is inputted.

Looks like MSYS is implementing things incorrectly. If it does the same
with the stdout, the CRT will buffer things differently than a standard
console.

The correct way must be with CreateConsoleScreenBuffer instead of pipes.
Windows Terminal uses it.

This article is about this subject:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/16163/Real-Time-Console-Output-Redirection

Since MSYS is not a standard tool in the Windows world and is already
working very badly with ISQL, I think we should fix the problem.

Adriano