When I've had trouble getting it installed correctly on a non-virgin
machine, the following steps usually work for me:

1) Uninstall DDEX Provider
2) Uninstall Firebird ADO.Net Provider
3) Uninstall Visual Studio Professional
4) Reboot
5) Search the computer for all copies of machine.config in any .net
framework folder. For each copy I find, I rename it to
machine.config.BeforeDefaulting.  Then, copy machine.config.default to
machine.config (be sure to use the one in the same folder).  Repeat for
each copy of machine.config that was found.
6) Reboot again
7) Reinstall Visual Studio Professional
8) Reboot again
9) Reinstall Firebird ADO.Net Provider from the MSI
10) Reinstall DDEX Provider from the MSI
11) Reboot again

Some of those reboots may not be necessary, but I do them all just to be
sure.

-Joe