Jiri,

not so that you get an impression we were not interested, just because
we  do  not  actively take part in the discussion. Most of us probably
are   convinced   that "no objection == full approval" and prefer keep
on  just  lurking  and not to choke the mailing list when there is not
really much to say.

But maybe from time to time it is good if someone like me *is* choking
the line to show that we are still alive :-)

Working with the source code is something I would personally not do in
the   near   future.  I certainly would be able to, I have to do so in
more  situations  than  I'd like (with other software packages). But I
only  do  so  if there is absolutely no other way. Developers of those
packages  usually  post  the  code on their own websites, or even send
them via e-mail.

The only time I tried to download the source for a personal rebuild
concerning Firebird (about 8 months ago) I found that doing so from
SourceForge was too complicated and I had to give it up. But it does
not necessarily mean that I could manage this better from Git.

Your  arguments  sound very reasonable in any case, and most of all it
makes  your work easier. When your work is easier it helps you to help
me in the future, so I certainly approve this idea.

I  see  a potential problem only where a generalist developer is quite
used  to SF and still finds all his other sources there and would have
to acquaint another source location just for the .net provider.
But,  then  again, nobody said that life as a developer has to be free
from  obstacles  all  the  time,  and if you never change anything you
won't ever improve something.

best regards,
André Knappstein

> Hi *,

> maybe you remember the thread "Releasing more often???". Yeah and
> nothing happened. :) Because there was not a strong protest, I think
> it's something we all 'd like to have.

> I was lately really pissed of by SF's SVN. If you worked with it, not
> just committing, I think just using it, you can feel my pain. So first
> part of the improving I'd like to offer moving to Git on GitHub. I'm
> not a fan of GitHub (I like BitBucket, if somebody asks), but it's a
> de-facto standard in OSS.

> With this we will also gain benefits like downloading the sources
> packed, downloadig specific version etc.

> Also I'd like to release *only* on NuGet and latest version for latest
> framework as MSI (on website). The rest can be downloaded/extracted
> from NuGet. We now support just .NET 3.5 SP1 and later, thus at least
> VS2010 and so NuGet is available to everybody. And even that, you can
> grab NuGet.exe and download from command line, if you want (i.e.
> you're hard-core developer using Notepad and csc only :)). Both these
> with higher cadence, shorter release loop as mentioned in previous
> thread.

> Maybe I'm too optimistic, so please let me know what you think and
> what you think is going not work. ;)

> JC

> --
> Jiri {x2} Cincura (x2develop.com founder)
> http://blog.cincura.net/ | http://www.ID3renamer.com

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

André Knappstein
EDV und Controlling
beta Eigenheim- und Grundstücksverwertungsgesellschaft mbH
Hafenweg 4
59192 Bergkamen-Rünthe

Telefon: +49 2389 9240 140
Telefax: +49 2389 9240 150
e-mail:  knappst...@beta-eigenheim.de

Amtsgericht Hamm Nr. B 420
Geschäftsführer: Achim Krähling, Dirk Salewski und Matthias Steinhaus

USt-IDNr.: DE 125215402