On 21-8-2016 08:09, Jiří Činčura wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm reading the JDBC-446 now and thinking we might do something similar.
>
> The default connection charset of NONE is pretty wrong in most cases.
> For .NET it might make sense to change to default UTF8, which on the
> other hand is correct in a lot of cases. And devs can change it if they
> really know what they are doing. Not sure whether forcing to specify
> some charset, thus not having default, is good idea in .NET world.

For background:
http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/drivers_documentation/java/3.0.0-alpha-1/release_notes.html#connection-rejected-without-an-explicit-character-set

I have considered making UTF8 the default for Jaybird, but I decided
that an "in your face" error message would be better to get people to
think about their connection character set, especially as Jaybird 3 has
other changes with character set behavior for connection character set NONE.

It is a decision that I may regret in a few months ;), and future
Jaybird versions might default to UTF8.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel