I am running a Firebird database system on  Server 2008 R2, Firebird 2.0.x and
the matching 64-bit version of iODBC that was provided with the Firebird
install. Everything is running 64-bit, including Excel.

I have set up a system DSN to connect to the Firebird database. This works
perfectly in various "mini-GUIs" like MS Query. I simply select the DSN, type
in a query, and up comes my data.

However, when I try the same from within VBA using ADODB, it fails. The error
is the generic "Automation Error", which is kicked back from practically
everything from security problems to network failures, so it's of little use in
debugging.

So here's my question: is ADODB 64-bit in any version? I have selected the "ADO
Data Access 6.0" library, but I can't imagine a way to tell what word size it
uses.