I've also found a bug with Firebug and Liferay (5.2.2 in my case). It
might be the same bug, so I'm posting it here. Basically, Liferay has
a minifier filter that it can run CSS through. If I turn this on,
Firebug won't show all of my CSS rules in the style tab. If I turn it
off, all of the rules are found.

The weird thing is that Firebug parses the minified CSS file correctly
when I view the file in the CSS tab. It just doesn't apply the rules
when I inspect a particular div. The div has a class of portlet-
topper, and the missing CSS rule is .portlet-topper { ... }

The Liferay setting for the minifier is theme.css.fast.load. There is
a similar setting for JS files: javascript.fast.load. Thomas, do you
have the javascript setting turned on? Can you turn it off and see if
the problem goes away.

Liferay uses a home grown minifier filter, so maybe it produces
something ugly that Firefox can parse but Firebug can't. Here is the
source file -
http://svn.liferay.com/browse/portal/trunk/portal-impl/src/com/liferay/portal/servlet/filters/minifier/MinifierFilter.java

I found the same behavior with Firebug 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.5a20.

I can post the full CSS and HTML files if desired.

Thanks,
Nate