On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM, M Gol <mikgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... i don't get it, up until a few days ago firebug was awesome, now
> automatically it's crap because it's discontinued?  Can I still use the old
> (good) one, even though it's discontinued, if i promise to not call
> support? I never have in the last x years i've been using it, but this new
> one is worse than chrome's dev tools :s sorry

Nobody here is saying that Firebug is "crap"... just that it doesn't work
anymore with the newer versions of Firefox. Also I'm not aware that there
was ever a way to "call support" -- what support? This is just a user
forum, by the way, not an official Mozilla forum.

The only way to get Firebug to work again is to roll back Firefox to an
earlier version and stay there (don't update FF anymore). Which I'm
probably going to do anyway within the next few months... because the
people who control FF are going to kill off far more than Firebug. They're
planning to kill almost the entire FF extensions architecture (XUL). That
will break my entire development environment, which relies on numerous
extensions plus custom scripts I wrote to tie them together. Mozilla is
planning to replace the current extensions environment with Chrome's
inferior system. From my point of view, this means that Firefox is going to
commit suicide later this year.

Of course, running an old browser isn't safe for general browsing purposes
(no security updates) which raises a whole other set of hassles -- using
different browsers for different purposes.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebug/CAMoMLKhOEGLE1vRT_AT8v5AVOnTOrONKkMgQH5eRnt2rL_1yoA%40mail.gmail.com.