From: Matthew G. Harrigan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 1:40 PM
To: Mark Arroyo; Firewalls
Subject: Re: VPN Best low cost solution?

I've been thinking about writing a cost vs. effectiveness paper on various
VPN solutions,
both hardware and software based for some time now. Please send me email
(do not copy the list) if this would be of interest to you.

To more directly answer your question, if you have a firewall in place that
will support the initial deployment of the type of VPN you want to create
(you mention guantlet), then I would think that the most cost effective
solution for you at this point would be to utilize it's capabilities,
assuming that the other VPN nodes you wish to deploy will support
interoperation with guantlet.

If there will be mobile users, and you have a firewall only solution then
count on buying shim software for each mobile user at between $100.00 and
$200.00 depending on your vendor.

If you want to go with a seperate hardware solution (like RedCreek or
VPNet), then the hardware cost varies greatly, depending on what kind of
deal you can swing, as these companies usually  don't sell direct (channel
sales only). For 10MBps equipment, prices range from $1000.00 to $3000.00
per unit. The reason for this is that most of the vendor's money is spent in
R&D, and once the boxes are manufactured, the cost of sale to resellers is
pretty minimal, so the boxes go for cheap (which means that the resellers
are making a killing on you, to the tune of about 40%). However, you save
money on the
shims, as companies like RedCreek give them away (I -think-).

Additional costs you need to consider are:

* Installation (most VPN equipment resellers are sys ints., and they charge
for it)
* Support contracts. (this is a doosey, as support seems to me to be
somewhat under
developed in this area) However (and no i'm not pushing this product :-) ),
RedCreek's
solutions partners program has given them the advantage of pointing to
various
"best of breed" third parties for said tasks, such as systems installation,
integration,
support and management.

"Please insert an additional $.25 to continue to ramble"
Looks like my time is up. :-) Sorry to pontificate.

Matt