The Windows NT resource kit includes a utility called winscl to browse a
WINS server from a command line.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 11:48 AM
To: Tyron Legette; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network browsing through a VPN

Browsing doesn't really work that great with Microsoft Networking,
especially if Win 95 boxes are involved.  I do not know what causes this
problem to begin with, but I know that we experienced this frequently when
we were using SecuRemote (Checkpoint FW-1). It didn't happen consistently,
though -- browsing worked for some people, and didn't for others (usually if
not exclusively, these were Win 95 machines that experienced the problem; NT
users seemed to be okay).  If absolutely no one can browse the network, your
problem may be different.  Do you have any rules applied to the VPN, or are
you allowing VPN users full access? I don't know much about Gauntlet except
that it's a proxy firewall, so I can't really tell you what to look for.
One thing you might check, though, is that if you log all dropped packets
you can see what packets are being dropped by the firewall when a VPN client
connects.

Can you get to a computer by typing \\computername?  This should work even
if you can't browse the network (you have to know the name of the computer).
If not, you may have a WINS issue. Check the client computers to make sure
their WINS settings are correct and that they can ping the WINS server by IP
address. This won't show that you can access WINS if the firewall is
blocking it (I wish there were an easy way to query the WINS server from the
command line, but I don't know of one), but if it works (assuming ping isn't
also disabled), it'll show you that you can at least connect to the machine.

Good luck!

Jen