IMHO the best option is to buy a powerful desktop, install NT or Linux and a
real Firewall.

The option I would suggest is cheaper and easier but should not be
considered secure.

UMAX makes a product called UGate+ which is a combination Cable/Modem or DSL
Router and DHCP server.

Buy this and plug it into your hub.  If you are networked using coax I think
you will need to buy a small hub with a coax uplink.  Connect the hub to the
inside port of the UGate+ and the Cable/Modem to the outside port.

Set your machines up to use DHCP (In windows this means install TCP/IP and
then do nothing to modify it.)

The UGate+ will assign IP Addresses to your machines that are compliant with
RFC 1918.  (You may want to manually assign an IP address to the server.
Server's are normally fixed - but in your environment it might not matter.)
It will perform network address translation for your machines so when they
connect to the internet outside servers can respond to you.

This leaves your machines wide open to the internet.  UMax claims the UGate+
is also a firewall.  The behavior they describe is actually port blocking
which I think falls far short of being a firewall.  It doesn't mean you
shouldn't use it.

You will need to open ports 110 and 25 to send and receive email.

You will need to open port 80 to browse the web and may want to open the
alternate http port 8080.

You will need port 443 to view secure web sites and may want to open port
543 which is the alternate https port.

Port 21 for FTP.
Port 23 for telnet.

I'm not sure what you need to do for DNS but you need to find out.

I'm not sure what the UGate+ will do with ICMP (like Ping) so people may be
able to see into your network and find machines.  Blocking ports lowers the
probability they will be able to grab files - but it doesn't eliminate it.

If you want to add other services (Real G2 for example)  I would suggest you
take a look at http://www.axent.com.  They offer numerous pages of
information on proxying particular services with their firewall.  If you
look at the info for a service you want and open the destination port they
specify on your UGate I think you will be in business.

(One note, the UGate throttles your connection speed down to about 1.8MbPS.
This shouldn't be noticeable in the environment you describe so don't worry
about it.