Just to add my $0.02, which if I'm lucky is worth half
that, the cable companies are wise to not put a firewall
between you and the net.  Once they have done that, they
are legally responsible for your safety, and they also
don't have to run tech support when the latest streaming
application doesn't work or you're trying to open up a
non-standard port for some network project for school or
anything else.  Unlike a corporate environment, they
can't block out all but their approved services.

What would be better is if they did a better job of
educating people on securing their own systems and
made people aware such activities were necessary.

Unfortunately, most users don't understand the need,
the concept, or the techniques, and would rather just
ignore the issue.  On the plus side, unless you download
a trojan, the only vulnerability most Windows users
have is the plethora of DoS attacks out there.  Since
Windows users are used to having to reboot constantly
they probably wouldn't even notice the attack.

~Patrick
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]