> The cover of Maruchan's Instant Lunch says ready in
> 3 minutes.  That is definitely not the case.  Upon
> completing extensive research I found that during
> the second minute Instant Lunch is susceptible to a
> buffer overflow.  The directions on the
> back are as follows:
>
>    1. Fold back lid half way. fill to inside line with "boiling" water
>
>    2. Close lid "securely" and let stand 3minutes.
>
>    3. Remove lid, stir and enjoy from cup.

I have developed a patch workaround for the above
problem.  Just apply the patch to the directions
as given.  The problem arises when users misread
the directions and don't realize the water is not
boiling before being added to the cup of instant lunch.
The following patch attempts to account for this
situation, since all experienced engineers know
you must account for all error conditions.

#----- CUT -----*>

1c1
<    1. Fold back lid half way. fill to inside line with "boiling" water
---
>    1. Fold back lid half way.
3c3,10
<    2. Close lid "securely" and let stand 3minutes.
---
>    2. if(water_is_not_boiling)
>        {
>           add_water(inside_line - 0.5);
>           close_lid(securely);
>           microwave_on_high(180);
>        }  else
>        {
>           add_water(inside_line);
>           close_lid(securely);
>           sleep(180);
>        }

Please note this patch is only a temporary
workaround until an official patch is released
by the developer.  I can not be held responsible
if this patch does not work for you, even if it
makes it worse.  It works fine for me, but YMMV.

~Patrick
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]