> My firewall is connected to a cablemodem, and it hit me that
> the cable co.
> must be doing some filtering on UDP 137-139 (probably due to all the
> complaints about Windows Network File Shares being easy to
> access/browse),
> and they must be dropping those packets so my firewall never
> sees it and
> nmap never see an ICMP unreachable (hence the report of a
> "Port Open").

Just to give you a nod or something, my testing has shown
tcp ports 137-139 being filtered as well at several points.
My cablemodem service (@Home), my friends' cablemodem service
(MediaOne), my work, etc., etc.

In all cases, the packets are just silently dropped.
I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I do know I'd be
very upset if they decided to add ports 21,22,23,25, and 110
to the list of ports to block.  Granted having even those
ports open is against the terms of service.  ;-)

~Patrick
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]