Gary Maltzen wrote:
> >Could anyone guide me to source of information, website, or otherwise to
> >help me with this.
>
> IPCHAINS = MASQ : check Rusty's MASQ site
>
>   http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
>
> You DID read the IPCHAINS-HOWTO, right?
>
>   http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

There are many that are going over to Linux these days that have never
tried it out earlier, wading through all the HOWTOs can make one feel
horrified at how to get IPchains and masquerading to work. If you have a
cable modem it's even more scary. What would be nice is to have a
firewall up and running right at the start, while learning the basics
gradually on the way.......there are two sites that offer a solution:

PMFirewall - http://www.pointman.org (works on all major distribs)

Mason  -  http://users.dhp.com/~whisper/mason/

Instead of implementing all the rules yourself the install script asks
you questions on how your machine is setup. Pretty simple and efficient.
You can customize your own rules on the way.

I'm running Slackware 7.1 with PMFirewall on a 486DX4 with 32 RAM with a
Bay Networks cable modem, acting as router/firewall for 2 PII's. We've
been running Win95, Win98, Slackware 7.1, Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and
OpenLinux 2.3 without any problems. Logging is enabled by default in
/var/log/messages. mIRC, ICQ, Internet gaming with Quake and Unreal
Tournament, among others, work flawlessly. If you happen to have a 486
with 12 RAM lying around doing nothing try out:

LRP -   http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/   (firewall on a floppy...!)

Better to get something running at once while learning on the way!

Regards,

-
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]