[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What do you all recommend for a good home security firewall?
> I have hear of Black Ice and Zonealarm.

That depends on which operating system you will be installing on the
machine that will act as the router and, of course, how it is going to
be used. What sort of routing software do you have in mind if you're
going to install Win9x/NT? A problem that quite a few people have
noticed with firewalls running in the background with Windows is overall
performance. In the beginning one is just satisfied with getting some
kind of firewall up and running but if you don't have enough RAM
installed you're going to be disappointed in the long run. I'm using
Linux myself on the router for our 3 PC's.

> I am hooking up 3 PCs to a cable modem connection in a home for a
> friend.
> What issues should I be aware concerning security.
>
> How would I block netbeui from being broadcast out through the cable
> modem.

Depends on what sort of cable connection they're going to have
installed. We have a "party" line over here, lots of folks sharing the
main feed. So security has to be pretty tight. If you want a basic
security outlook on things for Windows go take a look at how to unbind
protocols that you won't be needing:  http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm
You'll see that you won't have to worry about NetBEUI going anywhere.

> Your input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank You
>
> al

You're feedback on how it goes, likewise. :)

-
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]