A DOS attack is based on making more requests than the
devices recieving the requests can handle.  A true
attack is launched from many locations at the same
time and can cripple nearly any network device that is
invloved on the recieving end. When traffic is
disallowed by the firewall, the firewall still has to
determine that it is not allowed (whether by default
as you say or not) so enough of this rejected traffic
can still bring you down.  Also,typically a DOS attack
is launched against Web servers in a DMZ that must
allow HTTP(80) to function.  The chances of someone
launching a DOS attack on just any old firewall or
webserver is slim to none, what fun would that be.
Everybody wants to bring down the big guys.

Checkpoint, the leading firewall in the industry has
attempted to develop their software (SYNDEFENDER) to
stop DOS attacks and in real world tests it failed
miserably.

remember syn syn/ack ack