jennyw wrote:

> I have a default policy of deny on the input chain. I do not open up
> netbios. And yet when I run nmap to scan my computer, it shows that netbios
> ports (137/udp, 138/udp, and 139/tcp) are open. It also shows that port
> 1031/udp is open (I have no idea what this is -- nmap says it's iad2) and
> that 9/udp is also open (it says service is discard -- I'm also not sure
> what this is).
>
> When I type ipchains -L it does not show the ports as being accepted ... Can
> someone suggest why this might be happening?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

What is the output of ipchains -nvL? Are you using your own script?
If you're trying to nmap within your network perimeter you'll get open
ports because they need to be open on the inside, if you need them for
your internal boxes. Are you trying with scans from outside your
network, from the net?

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden