From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 06 December 2001 03:44
To: Richard Saddington
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: How easy is it to configure a rulebase.

One common problem with firewall rulebases is forgetting the effect of
combinations.

For example, a common firewall setup is a 3 legged one with external,
server and internal networks connecting to a single firewall.

internet

FW--- server segment

Internal

If I have rules blocking Internet access to Internal for a protocol like
SSH but allow
SSH :external->server
        and
SSH:server->internal,

I have also allowed SSH: External to Internal for anyone who has both
access (an employee from home say) who might have her home machine
compromised.

This is easily apparent in this example, but can be hidden in more
complicated rule sets.

Just looking at the rulebase by itself will not point out these flows.
One has to make a graph of allowed control/data flows , then find its
transitive closure for such protocols as Telnet, FTP, SSH HTTP, which
allow outbound connections to different hosts than the inbound connection.

Bill Royds
System Administrator, CHIN
ph: (819) 994-1200 X 239

"Richard Saddington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
12/05/01 02:53 PM