> In the case of NetBus, at some point someone actually had to install
> the trojan on your computer. This is easier than you might imagine. Is
> your computer *always* under lock and key when not in use? Do you
> *never* run software downloaded from anywhere except official sources,
> and then only after thorough scanning with today's anti-virus software?
> Have you religiously installed *every* security update for your
> operating system and application software? Really? :)

Given that it was most likely the user himself that 'installed' the
trojan.  Most likely by clicking on an attachment of accepting a trojan
via the irc system or any of the messaging systems such asAOL instant
messanger <AIM>, msn messanger, or the other variants.  Though an
unattended PC or laptop could well have been trojaned while he was away
from it.  And given this, it's likely the intruder was a fellow student.
Doesn't that make one feel safe?!

In fact, it's very likely the prof's pc he mentioned was hacked by a local
stdent, as likely as it being an outside intrusion...students do love to
play and test what they learn in class and from 'pals'...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.