Thanks to Henry Sieff

Adding more to the above problem yesterday we solved the problem but
temporarily. As we remove "ip inspect name 'name' smtp" things have started
moving smoothly. But our situation forces us to implement smtp monitoring.
How to go about it..

Prathabacimman.M (call me prathab)

Hi,

I have a got a very peculiar problem with Cisco IOS Firewall 21.4 on Cisco
2621 Router. Our mail server recides on the DMZ and We have got CBAC and
Access lists enabled on the Router. There's no problem with the traffic
except SMTP. When the authentication is enabled for SMTP relay on our
Exchange Server, the internet clients are unable to send mails thru the
server. The mails get bounced. When the authentication is removed the server
is vulnerable to open relay. There's certainly a problem with the
router/image/CBAC/ACL but we cannot identify where it lies. Can any one help
me in troubleshooting.

Prathabacimman.M