On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:24:18PM +0200, Frank Neumann wrote:
> could anyone give a pointer to a comprehensive list which values to put
> in the files under /proc/sys/net/ipv4/* on a Linux box from a security
> view?

I'm assuming you're talking about Linux, I don't know of any other OS with
that path.

If so, then those parameters are documented in the kernel source directory,
often visible as /usr/src/linux/. Look in Documentation/networking/. As the
file 00-INDEX indicates, those are documented in ip-sysctl.txt. A few other
files in that dir have mentions of specific uses of specific variables as they
relate to specific issues, but the comprehensive list is in ip-sysctl.txt.

Some distributions may install the kernel documentation elsewhere. E.g. at
least in Red Hat 7.2 (which is what I have convenient to hand), if you have
the kernel-doc package installed, that file is also visible as
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.7/networking/ip-sysctl.txt.

If you have that file online, and you don't know where it is, the command

        locate ip-sysctl.txt

may help.

-Bennett