Yeah.

I'm not the guy needing "clueing in", but I think that you are. This isn't
beating a dead horse, this is an entirely different and new horse that has
nothing what-so-ever to do with the dead one.

In case you missed it, and it is clear you did, I NEVER PRESENTED ANY
POSITION ON THE SUBJECT OF VLANS IN A DMZ, PRO OR CON. In fact, I made it
PERFECTLY CLEAR that I generally recommend the use of HUBS in DMZ's, not
switches and not switches with VLANs. What I did do is ask for people to
present *factual* evidence about the supposed problem, which no one could
beyond historical (and long since patched), situations. In fact, you still
don't seem to be able to refer to any timely information on the subject,
including this exploit (which you completely misconstrue).

Just to further clarify the FUD that you, Ron, seem to like throwing around
in regards to VLANs, read the exploit again. It's a single VLAN exploit, not
a multiple VLAN exploit. The data is being flooded to all ports on a single
VLAN - not from one VLAN to another. As a result, this would happen with a
single switch and a single VLAN in place (which is, oddly enough, exactly
what the bug report states). What's more though, the problem does not occur
what-so-ever when using the default VLAN (and since 99% of single VLAN
implementations use the default VLAN, that further underscores the
insignificance of the problem). In fact, the scenario defined makes it
explicit that this is a "Single VLAN" (see the environment section for
clarification of this point) problem, which does NOTHING to bolster your
VLANS and DMZs statements. If anything, it further underscores that you can
not present real credible reasons to not use VLANs for DMZ purposes, but
must instead rely on FUD and misinformation to try to make your point.

Me thinks you need to read up on how switches and VLANs work, and more so,
you need to make sure you understand the problems and exploits before you go
speaking about them. Heck, even this bug report makes it clear that there is
no known exploit, and anyone who knows anything about switches can clearly
see that, while this certainly should not be happening, the end result is
nothing more than the switch acting like a hub in the given circumstances.

While I appreciate the point, however incorrect and misguided, that you are
trying to make, I fail to see how this exploit does anything to bolster the
previously mentioned and discussed "packets traversing VLANs" exploits that
you dredge up from history.

Awaiting your response, and please try to make sure there is some validity
in it before you post it.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.