Matthew,

There are windows/nt ports of the common unix tools sed, grep and awk
available to help with this.  Seek out those, some are freebies, some
cost, a google search should guide you in the locating.  you can then
setup word or excel templates to map information into for reporting.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Matthew Macaulay wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this is not too far off firewall topic I apologise if it is.
>
> I have been asked to implement a syslog server based on NT (W2K) . I need to collect
>the logs from a PIX firewall and a Nokia VPN device.
>
> I have tried a few log server servers namely Kiwi, winsyslog and some others. I am
>able to collect the logs no problem and am happy to review the logs and act
>accordingly.
>
> What my employer wants are summery reports for these devices, while there are tools
>which will report on the logs of a PIX firewall they cannot make head nor tail of the
>Nokia device (understandable).
>
> So I guess what I am asking is, what do you guys use to help analyse your Firewall
>logs, I expect you guys can point me in the direction of web sites and further
>reading.
>
> Any assistance is welcomed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew MacAulay
> Raymarine LTD.

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.